FOLLOW THE FUZZ

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

SON OF FUZZY GETS PUBLISHED



Look, I know the blog has been slacking lately but that's because my home computer crashed and I have about as much of a clue as that fugly monkey up there as to how to fix it. Which is why I've been Android blogging from my intelligent cellular telephone.  And since bloggers don't make a million bucks (in fact, I don't even get paid for this.  can you believe that?  Well, Bah-leee-dat!) I have to wait a bit to buy a new computer-thingy.  But in the stead of blog posts, sonoffuzzy.blogspot.com has gone to print.  Dirty Water News contacted me (read: I harrassed them until they caved) to write an article for their 'Trends' section.   This article is from a few weeks back, like 1 month and a half worth of weeks, and so here's the link to the site and the article:

  http://dirtywaternews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=723:heres-to-bostons-plain-clothed-supermen-and-superladies&catid=68:trends&Itemid=128


People Helping People Is Making A Comeback!


Trends . You know , I nearly chose to write about the trend of dressing up as Snooki and The Situation for Halloween this year. I was gonna write about each costume I saw and detail whose was best and why. But I don’t really have the inclination, or the word count for that matter, so I decided to write about a more subtle costume people have been wearing lately: The Plain Clothed Superman.


I don’t know if it’s just me, but I have been seeing a lot more of ‘people-helping-people’ going on. Just the other day at Downtown Crossing I was wowed with kindness. I heard my incoming train announced over the intercom and quickly slipped two crisp one-dollar bills into the Charlie Card machine. It gave me a ticket and I hustled to the turnstile and slipped the ticket in. “EH-EH!” I tried again, “EH-EH!” I look at the ticket and I see printed, “Remaining Value: $2.” I look at the turnstiles’ display screen “Insufficient funds.”


Now, just as I’m about to locate the nearest authority and politely inquire “What the problem is?” (read:. lose my sanity and end up on the 7 o’clock news) a man who rushed through the adjacent turnstile presumably to catch that same incoming train observed my predicament. This bearded Jesus walks back and waves his hand in front of the exit sensor. The doors zoom open and I step through. All I can do is look at the Plain Clothed Superman and say, “That. Was. Awesome.” With no time for thanks he turned and hurried down the stairs. It was the most badass act of kindness I’ve seen in a hot minute.


I remember when this kind of kindness was everywhere. Right after September 11, 2001. Americans just wanted to help any other who needed it. Drivers offered the right away. Young kids held the door for the elderly. While Frank Sinatra sang “Stormy Weather” the flies and spiders got along together. When grifters looked at me and desperately asked, “Spare Change?” I stopped giving my usual response of, “No thanks, I have plenty!” and just silently walked by them instead.


If it takes more than one act of kindness to sell you then dig this: I was walking down the street looking like a tourist and taking random street shots with my new DSLR and saw a photo opportunity across a busy street. I stopped, kneeled, framed, and waited for the traffic to slow so I could get a clean shot. Then I see a clear shot through my view-finder and take it. When I lower my camera and stand up I notice a large MBTA bus to my leftfront side. The driver is smiling and looking at me. She saw me lining up my shot and stopped 40 yards behind the red light just to let me take it. That sort of caring awareness should be awarded and so I figured I’d give a quick shout-out to these two awesome Bostonians.


So how about you support this trend, especially if you were one of the million to dress up as Snooki or The Situation. Hold a door, give up your seat on the train, offer the right away, help someone get on the T for free. Hey, maybe even spare some change. DWN


BOOM! That just happened!!!

And, actually, it's not made up.  And judging from the massive amounts of feedback I've got I'd say it's safe to say.....ok I made that part up, I've gotten no feedback.  But in a related incident, I recently was able to 'Pay it Forward' from the Bearded Jesus who helped me get onto the T.  I walked into South Station and see two girls were already through and a third girl was having trouble with her Charlie Card.  So after I get through the turnstyle I walked over, wiiicked smooth, and waved my hand in front of the sensor.  And the girl stepped through and they were all THANKS YAY, and I stood there for a half second and just as I'm about to drop my signiture opening line of "Laaddiiiieeeesss..." I thought, WWBJD?!, So as I'm about to speak I break into a hobbled sprint--like I ran walked away.   I completely blew my cool and I might have drooled a little bit because my mouth was open.  I could hear them in the background laughing at what a geek I was.   I just wanted to be like the guy who helped me; casually selfless.  Instead, I looked socially awkward and mildly impaired.

2 comments:

  1. This was a great read. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jesse, Thanks for keeping up with the blog. Can't believe I actually "Wrote For The Printed Media," looks like my education wasn't completely impractical!

    I was actually just back on the grounds of UMB to request my cumulative GPA...I can still hear the woman at the desk laughing. I hope finals are breezing by for you man.

    ReplyDelete