FOLLOW THE FUZZ

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

EBERT GIVES RYAN DUNN'S DEATH TWO THUMBS UP.


"Huffingtonpost.com -- Shortly after the sad news broke that "Jackass" star Ryan Dunn had been killed in a catastrophic car accident early Monday morning in Pennsylvania, the web took notice of his Twitter feed, to which he posted a photo of himself drinking with friends just hours before the crash.
While the police report did not indicate that drinking was a factor in the horrific crash -- speed, the report said, may have been a contributor -- movie critic and prolific twitterer Roger Ebert sent out a critical message that some are calling insensitive.
"Friends don't let jackasses drink and drive," he tweeted around 3 pm EST. The message was met with a barrage of push back, including from blogger Perez Hilton's site.
"We certainly agree that driving after drinking is wrong, we think there's no reason - especially RIGHT NOW - that anyone should be pointing fingers or poking fun at a truly tragic situation," the site wrote. "Everyone makes mistake, and this is somebody's son. Too soon, Roger."
Around 8 pm, Ebert responded, defending his comment and the remarks of commenters on Hilton's site, many of whom agreed with Ebert.
"Perez Hilton's readers agree with me and not with Perez about my tweet on Ryan Dunn. He drank, he drove, 2 people died," Ebert wrote.
You can read the tweets of other celebrities, including some of Dunn's "Jackass' costars, in the slideshow below"

I can see both sides clearly from this fence I'm sitting on.  
On one hand, Dunn is dead.  I love those Jackass movies and I was watching the CKY videos way before Jackass ever hit so I literally grew up watching this guy Ryan Dunn.  It sucks to lose someone who entertains us.  Which is kind of why celeb deaths are big news.  I personally will lose no sleep over his death b/c I'd never met the guy but I do recognize the tragedy because I'm familiar with him. 
On the other hand, Ebert is just a natural critic.  He's just tweeting cerebrally.  Drinking and driving is a plague that happens every day.  Even when you end up parked on your neighbors lawn and safe in bed...their bed...it was still just another tragedy diverted.  So I have no problem with Ebert calling him out on driving drunk and canceling two lives.
On my third hand, now that I know Ebert likes to fight with the gloves I really wish I didn't hold back when he went through that cancer and lost his jaw...

"i heard the last movie Roger Ebert was was jaw-dropping"  


1 comment: